Perfect Beef Enchiladas
Beef Enchiladas are one of the more popular Mexican dishes enjoyed all over the world, but there's still a lot of room for innovation - and this recipe will give you some inspiration.
- 1 tsp each onion & garlic powder
- 1 tbsp each cumin powder, paprika and dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional, spiciness
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp flour plain/all purpose
- 2 cups chicken stock / broth
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef mince
- 400 g refried beans
- 400 g black beans drained
- 8 tortillas or burrito wraps
- 150 g grated melting cheese
- Cilantro/Coriander leaves roughly chopped (optional garnish)
- Mix together the spices. Set aside until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir to combine into a paste. Cook until the mixture is smooth, which will take approximately one minute.
- Add 1/2 cup water to flour and stir, then add the chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil, then remove from heat and whisk until smooth.
- Add remaining chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt, pepper and SPICE MIX.
- Increase heat to medium high. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, whisking frequently, until the glaze starts to thicken and become more syrup-like in consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Add the garlic and onion to a pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and cook for 1 minute. Add remaining Spice Mix. Cook until completely browned.
- Add black beans to the pot of refried beans, adding a sprinkling of enchilada sauce. Cook for 2 minutes and then remove from the stove to add salt and pepper.
- To prevent your dish from sliding, you could smear some sauce on the bottom.
- Fill the tortilla with the filling. Roll up the tortilla and place it in the baking dish. Repeat until all of the ingredients have been used.
- Pour the sauce over the enchiladas, top with cheese, place back in the oven for 10 minutes. Serve warm.