Tender Veggie Lasagna
- 14 lasagna noodles 2 extra for filling in holes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic 3 cloves
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow squash cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers drained and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, 1 heaping cup
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- Generous handful fresh basil leaves chopped
- 15 oz container ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, grated about 1 cup
- 8 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese shredded
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Start by bringing salted water to the boil then cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain them well before laying flat on aluminum foil sheets with nonstick coating so that way they don't stick together when it comes time to assemble later!
MAKE VEGETABLE SAUCE
- Light the heat in your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Put a 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish that is lightly oiled or sprayed on nonstick cooking spray and wait for it to be ready before putting any ingredients inside.
- In a wide skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onions until they are translucent. Once the onion has cooked for five minutes add garlic cloves, red pepper flakes, zucchini squash to cook another eight minutes or so. After this time is up sprinkle with salt as desired before removing from pan when finished cooking
- Add in the roasted red peppers and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a low simmer until thickened before seasoning with salt and pepper; cook for five minutes after that or until reduced by half!
MAKE CHEESE FILLING
- While the sauce simmers, mix together a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ricotta cheese with eggs to create a creamy mixture.
- Spoon enough vegetable mixture into the baking dish to cover it in a thin layer. Make sure that there is some of each type of noodle on top, and be mindful not to have too many noodles or they will come out sticky when you try picking them up.
- Spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles and sprinkle it with a little parmesan. Layer on some mozzarella, then put in half of your vegetables as well
- Create a layered casserole by following these steps: lay down four noodles, add the cheese and vegetables of your choice. Continue to layer with remaining ingredients in this order, ending with a final layer made up only of noodle mix-ins.
- Cover with aluminum foil then bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until cheese is crusty on the edges, about 15 more minutes (30 total). For a golden brown top like in many pizza parlors, pop it under your broiler for 1 to 2 quick seconds before serving! Let rest 10-15 min after cooking or else that delicious cheesy goodness will run off onto the plate when you cut into it.